Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mac OS/X on the side

For no good reason whatsoever, I spent most of last night getting PearPC up and running on my laptop and trying to install Max OS/X. It was a lengthy process, a bit cumbersome, but ultimately I succeeded in finding my old mini system disks, making images from them and starting the install. Only to find out that the restore disks will not allow the OS to be installed on hardware that is, well, not a mac mini. Ouch. Makes perfect sense, I just wish I hadn't wasted the wee hours of the morning until 4am finding out about that restriction ;)

While wasting away that time, I used dd, nc and bzip2 quite a lot, which got me started about getting into automated system backups (the theory is simple - multiple partitions, a simple bootcd or separate partition, dd bzip2 nc, xdelta/rsync comparing to the last backup and store the result in a web storage cloud). This might be well worth looking into.

Other than that, I decided that I should start looking into using rzip as my compression program of choice, at least where file compression (as opposed to stream compression) is involved. Oh - and is there a zipping powershell class yet? [UPDATE] As it turns out, there is, and there is so much more. I thought powershell was going to be interesting, but after following the links Lee Holmes kindly provided, I am wowed and amazed. Can't wait to dig deeper.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, there is. Since PowerShell really gives you access to all of the .Net Framework, your question could be rephrased as, "Does the .Net Framework support compression yet?"

In that case, your answer is yes: http://beta.search.live.com/results.aspx?q=site%3Amsdn.microsoft.com+class+system+compression

However, if you're looking to compress files, there's no reason to avoid any of the many command-line tools that already do the job well!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 2:48:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home