Monday, March 12, 2007

It's dead, Jim

Dammit, my xbox 360 croaked with great finality today. The towel trick doesn't work anymore, and if it decides to boot, within a few seconds, I get a blue checkerboard pattern on top of the current graphics and a solid freeze.

So far for the bad news. I researched the support options available, and discovered that a lot of folks report a real bad experience. And that I am out of warranty as far as msft is considered.

Sighing inwardly, your dear occasionally rabid programmer decided that having a functioning xbox was just way too important and resigned himself to support hell and called 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

The good news is, I was blown away by the support call. The 1st tier rep listened to my story, briefly asked if I had tried the suggested workarounds, immediately understood that I had (I've had techs who made me go through all of the demeaning steps of unplugging/switching off and on for other devices) and told me that she was going to escalate me to her supervisor because I had a launch box out of warranty. Instead of the anticipated uphill battle with folks following a script, I got smart dedicated, well-informed and action-oriented people who were doing their best to resolve my problem. Hat off to the folks in the xbox support group.

I have booked the out of warranty repair, and the best news is that I have the option of purchasing up to 2 years of extra warranty on the repaired or refurbished console I'll receive, which I duly will, having once experienced how sad life without the 360 is. Good deal!

I'll post about the full repair experience once I get my box back.

The thing I am shaking my head about at this stage is why there are so many posts claiming huge trouble with 1-800-4MY-XBOX. Either support is very heterogeneous, or there is a concerted campaign (Sony?) to badmouth xbox support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home